You know eating nutritious food is one of the most important parts of a healthy lifestyle. But did you know you can boost the nutrition of any dish simply by adding herbs and spices? Here are five tasty ways to maximize any meal:
- Chives: These green tips are rich in Vitamins A, C, and K and have an anti-inflammatory effect on the body. Yummy on soups, salads, fish, and egg dishes.
- Cinnamon: This spice is not only delicious, but also controls blood sugar and has anti-clotting and anti-microbial properties. It’s full of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium. Use in both sweet and savory dishes.
- Dulse flakes: These reddish-brown seaweed flakes have a mildly spicy, salty flavor. They are rich in Vitamins B6 and B12, iron, potassium, riboflavin, fiber, chromium, and magnesium. Also have some protein, calcium, niacin, and phosphorus. Sprinkle on soups, stir-fry recipes, and salads.
- Parsley: These leafy or curly sprigs not only freshen your breath, but are also high in Vitamin A, C, K, folate, and iron. Use in sauces, soups, and dips, or sprinkle on salads, veggies, fish, or meat.
- Sesame seeds: These white or black seeds contain high amounts of copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamine, and fiber. Tasty on veggies, fish, noodles, and any Asian dishes.
These toppings may be small, but they are mighty in their nutritional benefits. Feel good when you add these powerhouses to your meals, you are doing amazing things for your body and mind!
I originally wrote a version of this article for a 2011 newsletter for Reaching Out Against Eating Disorders, a not-for-profit organization specializing in eating disorders support and referral in the NYC area.
7 thoughts on “Five Tasty Toppings to Love that Love You Back”
Good to know! Thanks for all that helpful info!
Glad it was helpful Liz!
This is great! Always looking for easy additions like this.
It’s good to know that these little spices also bring great benefit to our health.All the more reason that we should put them in our food.
Yes I I agree of what you’ve said “eating nutritious food is one of the most important parts of a healthy lifestyle”. Adding herbs and spices like this is also important. What type of foods can we add this species?
Under each herb or spice, I list a few suggestions on how to use them. If I misunderstood your question, please let me know!