What do you do when cravings are pestering you and crying out to be satisfied? You silence the little buggers with one of these tasty treats, that’s what! These snacks are guaranteed to do the trick when you need a fix but don’t want to suffer from eater’s remorse.
- Olives–try ones stuffed with garlic, blue cheese, jalepeño, or feta
- Sauerkraut or kimchi–just a couple spoonfuls should do the trick!
- Roasted, salted nuts–even better when you roast them yourself. Spread raw nuts on baking sheet and bake at 275°F for 5-15 minutes, depending on the size of the nuts. Warm, fragrant roasted nuts are such a treat!
- Apples dipped in honey and cinnamon. Or topped with homemade “gourmet” nut butter (see celery snack tip below under “Crunchy”).
- Oatmeal or grains cooked with raisins, maple syrup, and apple juice or milk. Add bananas and nuts, sprinkle with apple pie spice…get creative!
- Cook carrots in grass-fed butter until tender and caramelized. Then drizzle with local honey or Grade B maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Cut sweet potatoes, yams, or squash (like acorn or butternut) into chunks, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake until tender.
- Chocolate-dipped confections–Melt ½ cup organic chocolate chips (or grain-sweetened for non-dairy option). Dip pretzels and strawberries into the chocolate, place on baking sheet or plate covered with wax paper, and refrigerate until chocolate hardens. An indulgent treat!
- Tortilla chips with fresh guacamole and salsa. To make your own chips, cut whole tortillas (like Food for Life sprouted corn variety) into four wedges, spread them on an olive oil-coated baking sheet, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. Don’t want to make your own? Garden of Eatin’ brand is good too!
- Celery topped with peanut or almond butter (make sure it’s non-hydrogenated with no added sugar). To make it sweeter, mix first in a small bowl with raisins and cinnamon, perhaps a little honey…like the gourmet brands but without all the bad stuff!
- Popcorn–can make your own by adding enough oil (coconut oil is delicious and great for high temperatures) to cover the bottom of a big, heavy pot. Add ¼ cup of popcorn (4 servings, can save some for later!), cover and turn the burner on high. Shake the pot occasionally. When the popping starts lift the pot about two inches above the flame so the popcorn doesn’t get burned (use mittens to protect your hands) and keep shaking every couple seconds. You’ll know it’s ready when the popping stops! Sprinkle with sea salt and whatever spices you’re craving. Can mix in some raisins, chocolate chips, and nuts to make it interesting.
- Homemade french fries–all taste, no guilt! Cut 2-3 washed and scrubbed potatoes into ¼ inch wedges, sticks, circles–whatever shape you like–and place on baking sheet lightly coated with olive oil. Brush tops of potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake for about 40 minutes at 350°F until golden brown, turning them over halfway through. Especially decadent dipped in olive oil/flax seed mayo (Spectrum organic brand for example) mixed with spices like cayenne or cracked pepper!
Let me know what you think about these snack ideas. Do you have any other healthy suggestions that have worked to crush your cravings?